Head of the laboratory is Sergey Victorovich Cherkasov, M.D., the corresponding member of the RAS, author of 76 scientific works, including 3 monographs, holder of 11 invention patents of the Russian Federation.
Research interests: ecology of human microorganisms.
Main trends of scientific activity:
- colonzation resistance and the mechanisms of microbiocenoses formation in the human body;
- investigation of physiology of the microorganisms under the conditions of symbiotic interactions.
The most important results of scientific investigations:
- the developing of the colonization resistance concept, where it is considered as the associative symbiosis function of the host and the microorganisms, aimed to restrict biotope colonization with allochtonous microorganisms; the deciphering of bacterial mechanisms of colonization resistance of the host, which include: pathogen adhesion retardation, antagonist antimicrobial effect of the normal flora and the repression of persistent potential of the allochtonous bacteria;
- synergistic antimicrobial effect in course of symbiotic interactions of autochthonous microbiota and the host in the colonization resistance functioning has been discovered;
- the integration of physiological functions of the organisms with the microecological biotope status has been determined on the basis of the proved connection between dysbiotic conditions of female reproductive system and ineffective outcomes of the in vitro fertilization;
- it has become possible to discover the meaning of the pro- and antioxidant balance in the symbiotic systems with the prokaryote participation, which provides colonization resistance of the biotope and the sustainability of the microbiocenosis;
- the methods of prognosis and treatment of the inflammatory infections of the female reproductive system have been developed on the basis of microbiological criteria of the dysbiotic conditions of the host.